Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Not So Clever Marketing Strategies

Do you ever notice how they prepare food for commercials? It usually makes me ridiculously hungry. I understand it's not real food in the commercial. And I know in real life that the hamburger will not look that beautiful, nor will my fries be piled anywhere near that high, but I still want to go out and buy what they're trying to sell me. Once in college, my roommate and I stopped whatever we were doing and ran out immediately after a Burger King commercial for $1 chicken sandwiches. So it's not really difficult to convince me to eat something.

However, this strategy isn't true for cream cheese. In the ad, a couple was sharing a romantic breakfast that included a bagel with a layer of cream cheese at least an inch thick. I do like cream cheese, but I prefer to have my 8oz container last more than half a bagel. And then they were dipping strawberries in the cheese to feed to each other... as if anyone does that. Or could do that... unless you had an unripe, rock-hard strawberry to power through all of that cheese.

It's not surprising, since all advertising for peanut butter, jelly and even butter show these obscene amounts. Maybe it's a secret tactic to make you feel like "someone" is putting more butter on their bread than you so you don't feel guilty about licking the knife. But it didn't make me run out to the store and buy more cream cheese. Or even open my fridge and eat some. And I'm not easily swayed by advertisements.

So the cream cheese people might want to look up the geniuses behind the BK chicken sandwich ads.




No comments:

Post a Comment